Here is a two page spread from the Firefly story by Zoë Tucker. I started to do the whole spread in color but I really liked the black and white sketch that I did, especially after I blew it up to actual book size. I tweaked the sketch to a final drawing and added the firefly and some creatures and this is my mixed color and B&W version.
I will probably finish the color version another time…..
This past week was Poses week. I revamped my character again. I actually like trying different things to see what works. Different approaches, different color palettes. Shake things up a bit. This course is for portfolio building so why not push things harder to see where I can go with it?
The color palette for this group was picked by my 4 year old grandson. I emailed the family and I did the girls’ choice last week. This week it was CJ’s turn. The glasses last week were Julian’s when he used to wear them.
All 5 of these fireflies were done in my Soul Journal that John bought for me as a Mother’s Day gift, several years ago, from Innovative Journaling. It’s a leather journal that is refillable. I can put two refills in it which means I can put two different types of paper in there. It’s 5.5 x 8.5 which is a nice size to work on.
I did all 5 on their own page. The paper is Arches text wove and it handles wet media nicely. I’ve used watercolor and acrylic on this paper as well.
I had started this version last week but I was getting down to the deadline and had to switch to digital. Normally I like to do the traditional first and then tweak it after I scan it. This was done in my Innovative Journal with acrylics that I refill with Arches Text Wove paper. The paper handles lots of different media surprisingly well.
I am taking an illustration course and the main character is a young firefly. We had to turn in our character today. I did this little guy in multiple ways and I was tweaking him up to the last minute because once I really got on the roll, more ideas popped into my head. The flowers were actually an idea that came from my walk this morning. The grandkids had some input into what colors they preferred but my final decision came down to what worked with the background I had in mind.
Today’s prompt is shoes. When I first sat down to draw shoes, which I have done many times before…I realized that my wardrobe now consisted of various flip flops. I rarely wear shoes anymore except for the few rare evenings when it’s cool here or when I go for my walk. Otherwise I’m holding it in flip flops. This thought prompted me to draw my flip flops and that morphed into playing with some digital colors and textures…
This was a lot of fun and it gave me lots of ideas for more patterns.
I don’t know if I will be posting these every day but here is my sketch page for today’s prompt – Hats
I have a sketch page full of these really pretty hats and I don’t remember why I did them but I was able to use my sketchbook as a reference for these sketches, new and improved, of course. I didn’t color them in because I am supposed to be spending 5 – 10 minutes on them. I spent a little more time because I liked doing them. It was relaxing.
On the flip side of being relaxed. John and I have been watching Mr Mercedes on Peacock. Very suspenseful. I wouldn’t recommend watching it before bed or alone.
I am taking an illustration course over the next few weeks and we are given daily prompts that we are encouraged to sketch. I pulled out my sketchbooks and found the various eyeglasses that I have sketched and combined them all here. I have been going to my sketchbooks first because I have so much that I have sketched over the years that many times I can pull something from there, first.
I really need to catalog my sketchbooks. I have over 100.
I was on a Zoom this evening with Carla Sonheim and a few other artists. Carla had some flowers that she encouraged us to draw via blind contours and I randomly placed them around the page. We were encouraged to use whatever media we wanted. I used a Caran D’Ache Neocolor II black water-soluble crayon.
I then colored them in with watercolor and used ultramarine blue washed around them. I just played with the various mediums, adding paint pens and other media. Then I scanned it in and tweaked it some more on Procreate. I did this all while making homemade candy for Easter. It was quite full day.
And yep, I printed it out on a 4×6 postcard to mail to my mom. No kitties today, just flowers.