I haven’t posted anything for the week because of the holiday. Even when I am busy with holiday activities, I still create every day. I have also added writing to my routine. Nothing earth shattering, but I am learning some tricks and plan to add that to my daily routine. I have been doing it for a week now and I may incorporate into my blog as well.
To catch up with my AEDM in one post….here are the daily portraits that I do every morning. These are in a new journal and I don’t remember where it came from. I originally tried to use it for International Fake Journal month but the paper sucks for drawing/watercolor and ink so I had put it aside. I am on a mission now to fill every sketchbook I had abandoned and this was one of them. It’s being used for my daily portraits and my writing to expedite filling it.
The one above, Ethan S, I had posted on Sktchy when I completed it but never got around to posting on my blog.
I zonked out early yesterday and I forgot to post. I was working on some sketches yesterday that I don’t want to share yet, but I thought of a new themed sketchbook that I will probably start after I finish my Christmas cards.
Another task that I tackled yesterday, in my bullet journal, was my Thanksgiving shopping list. I have tried regular planners for years, but I have had the most success with bullet journaling. The nice thing about a non formatted planner like bullet journaling is that I can track things like Thanksgiving shopping lists from previous years. It takes the guess work out of holiday planning and has been a valuable tool for me. It also reminds me of what worked and what didn’t.
You can find out more about Bullet Journaling here:
Today I finished up my week long daily doodles and I also tried out a new sketchbook to see what media it will handle.
The daily doodles are in a Strathmore 400 series softcover Drawing sketchbook. I love this whole line of journal type sketchbooks. The paper is awesome and you can get different weights for various media, they open flat and I like the 7.75 x 9.75 size. It’s perfect for my dailies.
This was done in a new sketchbook that I haven’t tried yet, but I have two of them. This is the first page and I tried watercolor and ink. It’s a square format and I love square sketchbooks but I am not sure how I feel about this one yet. More to come on this sketchbook….
I have had a busy day today. It was a gorgeous day here by Jensen Beach. It’s been windy all day and the wind brought in cooler weather. We opened all the windows. It won’t last long. In a couple of days it will probably be around 80 again but we’ll take what we can get.
Here are my morning sketches, if you saw yesterday’s post, you’ll see how I filled the first daily box from yesterday. I was outside when I did the daily box and my uniball spit some ink. It does that once in a while. I also did my Sktchy portraits, one is a timed 5 minute and the other is a Cheater Blind Contour. Those are my warm up sketches for the day and I don’t worry if they are perfect. I used to worry about perfectionism until I realized that from an illustrator point of view, my best character potential came from the imperfect and spontaneous sketches.
Also today, I started a little holiday project. I pulled out my scented Daniel Smith holiday colors. The red is peppermint. The yellow is mulled cider and they smell good. However, the green is pine or Christmas tree, but it smells like Pine Sol. Oh well, two outta three isn’t bad.
Last but not least is my sample spread below for a story that John and I are putting together. I signed up for a Children’s book writing course this time last year but it actually didn’t start until October 12, 2020. There are lots of good tips and John and I came up with a story together while were taking our morning walk. More to come on that.
Going rogue today and using my morning blob sketched with ink as my Inktober for the day….I had an assignment to describe a character in 25 words or less and although I had a different one already to go, this guy was very pushy and demanded a chance to be developed.
I haven’t been posting these but this week is a little different. It was a sad week but it was also a week where the sloth plant finally bloomed.
Sloth plant you ask? Yeah, what was that plant I called the “sloth plant?” I wasn’t giving this plant it’s given name until I saw flowers! Sloth plant is a dry loving, sun loving, slow growing plant. It’s an 18 month old cutting from a plumeria, aka Hawaiian lei flower, so “ta da!!!” Sloth plant is a Plumeria!
It took 18 months to flower. Lots of sun and patience. If you want to grow a plumeria in the Northeast, you have to have a full sunny window for it in the winter and it doesn’t like the cold.
We had it in a pot and we transplanted it to the front flower bed, where it is really happy! It does get cold here in the winter but I noticed that there are plumerias all over Jensen Beach and my part of Port St Lucie and they made it through the cold nights here, but they would die in a Northeast winter outside.
I want to get more in different colors. They are definitely worth it. So pretty and the flowers last a few days.
I haven’t posted these in a while. Sometimes, I put something on my page that I am not really sure that I want to share yet until I am able to follow through on that little box that could lead to something else.
A nice thing about Florida is the plants can grow year round…..However, the squirrels are also here year round. They stole a baby eggplant and buried it. John found it when he was watering the garden.
Yesterday morning, when John and I were looking at our few meager veggie plants. I looked up at the screen house and I said to hubby, “What is that in the corner of the screen house?” Earlier, two squirrels were chasing each other on top of the screen house….now we know why….one of them must have stolen a green bell pepper and left it in the corner of the screen house, or dropped it and it rolled to the corner, but there is was, in all it’s green glory, just short of being usable. Now we need to get some garden netting, brats.
This morning, I was outside doing my writing and drawing routine, and the sky started to darken. I said to hubby that I think the 20% chance of thunderstorms is going to be 100% chance. he made a comment about 20% chance usually is bad news and 80% means we’re getting nothing. Well, we got the thunderstorms at the 20% chance and they started around 9-ish and round 4 is rumbling in the distance and it is after 2. So much for the 20% chance of T-storms today.
A rare treat, the new spread for this week. I tried going back to just boxes, but they were boring.
I have a daily practice of drawing people. If no one is handy, I use the SKTCHY app for reference. I do two types of sketches. A five minute timed sketch and a Cheater Blind Contour sketch. I use brush fountain pens for the the timed 5 minute sketch. This helps with my brush skills. The other sketch, I use the big fat chunky Higgins Indian Ink Chisel marker that I received in my Artsnacks box back in May. I love that marker. I use the Uniball vision for the fine line.
Here are some examples of those people. Four of these were assignments from Make Art That Sells Assignment Bootcamp. You’ll see more of these over the next couple of days….